- Petrel Robertson Consulting Ltd. of Calgary, in coordination with Global Shale Plays LLC. (GSP) of Houston, will be conducting a detailed geoscience study of the Eagle Ford formation and other oil and gas bearing formations in Northern Mexico across from the border from South Texas. The group has been authorized by the Comisión Nacional de Hidrocarburos (CNH), a Mexican government office, to develop and market the project to industry and other interested parties. The proposed area covers about 16,100 km2 and falls within the northern extent of the Burgos Basin, continuing up to the Piedras Negras area. The study will utilize existing 2D and 3D seismic, advanced pre-stack inversion techniques, wells, core data, as well as existing airborne-gravity, magnetic, and electro-magnetic data, as available, to map, assess and high grade areas of potential hydrocarbon accumulations. For further information on how to participate in the study contact: Kathleen Dorey (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Brad Hayes (email@example.com)
- Brad Hayes will be one of the Head Table Experts at Canadian Society of Unconventional Resources Executive Roundtable: The Employment Crisis for Canada's Energy Professionals - October 6 at the Calgary Telus Convention Centre. Free registration for Professionals in Transition. Registration here
- PRCL client US Oil Sands is nearing completion on their new oilsands project in Utah. PRCL played a key role in defining and mapping the oilsands reserves that USOS is developing. See the story at JWN Energy
- CSUR (Canadian Society for Unconventional Resources) is hosting an information session regarding regulations around methane emissions. Click here for details
- Brad Hayes addressed the Canada-Eurasia Russia Business Association (CERBA) in Calgary on June 6th, speaking on using Canadian geoscience skills to evaluate international oil and gas assets for investors. link to presentation(4MB PDF)
- Brad Hayes comments on the potential for oil discoveries in NEBC in this Business in Vancouver article
- Bill Whitelaw, President and CEO at JuneWarren-Nickle's Energy Group, and a Director of the Canadian Society for Unconventional Resources, shares his insights on key energy-related issues of the day.
Fracking and Earthquakes
- Petrel Robertson Consulting Ltd. (PRCL) and Quaternary Geosciences Inc.(QGI) have completed a geological characterization of Quaternary and other nearsurface formations in the Peace Project area. Building on existing geological mapping and hydrogeological reports, the investigations used cased-hole gamma logs run through surface casing in petroleum boreholes to map depth to bedrock (and hence thickness of Quaternary cover), and the distribution of aquifer sands in the Quaternary section. This was done in support of Geoscience BC Report 2016-03, mapping groundwater resources using airborne geophysics.
The PRCL/QGI portion of the project is available for download on the Geoscience BC website (Geoscience BC Report 2016-04).
- Brad Hayes addressed the Canadian Institute 16th Annual Arctic Oil & Gas Symposium, speaking on the importance of geological work to better understand unconventional oil and gas potential in northern Canada. Read the Article (PDF)
- PRCL has teamed with Dr. Nick Harris (University of Alberta) and Dr. Graham Dolby (consulting biostratigrapher) in evaluating Cretaceous Lower Goru sandstone reservoirs in the Indus Basin of Pakistan. The team, led by Dr. John Carey of PRCL, is working with Pakistan Petroleum Ltd. to better understand reservoir quality and distribution in this emerging gas/condensate system.
- On March 8, at the 2016 Geoconvention(Telus Convention Center, Calgary), Kathleen Dorey is chairing two sessions with co-chair Brian Zaitlin entitled "Technology for Unconventional Resources". Twelve high level industry papers being presented in both morning and afternoon sessions. The focus will be on new and evolving technology as applied to Unconventional Resources worldwide.www.geoconvention.com
- Brad Hayes commented in an article at Business In Vancouver on the New Brattle Group report which says increased investment in renewable energy in Asia and Europe could reduce financial support for LNG projects. Business In Vancouver article
- PRCL President Brad Hayes has been appointed by the Yukon Deputy Minister of Energy, Mines and Resources, as a member of the Yukon Oil & Gas Advisory Committee. The mandate of the group is to provide ongoing advice to the Department of Energy, Mines and Resources, Government of Yukon, to ensure that the department supports the sustainable economic development objectives of Yukon government and the needs of the oil and gas industry.
- PRCL has been contracted by Geoscience BC to identify and characterize the underdeveloped resource oil potential buried in northeastern British Columbia. Details at Geoscience BC
- The Vancouver Sun published an article August 4 by Brad Hayes, reviewing Geoscience BC's work in characterizing water resources in NEBC. Petrel Robertson is participating in GBC's Peace Project. Vancouver Sun article
- The Yukon Geological Survey has released Open File 2015-22, Conventional reservoir petrophysical property assessment for 34 wells, Eagle Plain, Yukon by Petrel Robertson Consulting Ltd. and T.A. Fraser. Details and download.
- U.S. Oil Sands will put their new oilsands mine in eastern Utah on production later this year (Calgary Herald article). PRCL provided extensive geoscience assistance in mapping the oilsands resource to support financing and operational planning for the mine.
- Mr. John F. Gillan, of Petro-Leaf Management Ltd. in London, UK, has joined the Petrel Robertson team as our International Advisor. Mr. Gillan will assist PRCL in business development, focused on the international investment communities in Europe and Asia.
- PRCL has been contracted to design, manage and execute a 350km 2D seismic program onshore in S.E. Asia. The program is in the pre-planning stage and will commence field operations in January 2016. The results of the program will be used to define additional drillable locations on the client's concession.
- PRCL has been contracted to be the lead geoscience service provider for a consortium of technical companies based in Houston. This consortium will be evaluating regional basin reservoirs for independent and multi-national oil and gas companies with a particular focus on Mexican shale gas opportunities.
- Brad Hayes was interviewed on the Business News Network programme "Commodities, regarding Canol Shale oil play in the central Mackenzie Valley, Northwest Territories." You can view Brad's interview at the BNN website.
- Canadian Society for Unconventional Resources elected Brad Hayes, PRCL President, to its Board of Directors
- Brad Hayes was recently interviewed for Oil Week magazine discussing the limitations of shale oil plays. Read the article(PDF)
- PRCL President Brad Hayes presented "Canadian Technical Expertise in Shale Gas Development - An Industry Perspective", on behalf of the Canadian Society for Unconventional Resources, at two seminars designed by the Canada Trade Commission to promote Canadian expertise in Europe.
The first seminar was hosted by the Embassy of Canada to Poland in Warsaw (March 23, 2015) and the second by the High Commission of Canada to the UK in London (March 25, 2015).
- Daily Oil Bulletin highlights PRCL President Brad Hayes' presentation to the Canadian Energy Research Institute Natural Gas Conference March 2nd in Calgary. Daily Oil Bulletin(subscription required)
- Zaitlin Geoconsulting Ltd. (ZGL) has entered into a consulting alliance with PRCL, and the two companies will work together in generating and executing new consulting and exploration projects. Dr. Brian Zaitlin, with more than 30 years experience in the Canadian oil and gas industry, including clastic geology, play generation, and exploration management, is Principal of ZGL.
- Kathleen Dorey is co-chairing a session at Geoconvention 2015: New Horizons, Calgary. Session is titled "Unconventional Resources: Shale and Silt plays of Western Canada" www.geoconvention.com
- Kathleen Dorey has been nominated to the Board of Directors for the Geoconvention Partnership on behalf of the Canadian Society of Exploration Geophysicists (CSEG). Details
All News Items
- November 16 2016 Kathleen Dorey will be giving a talk at the CSPG International Division lunchtime forum to members and guests interested in the geoscience and hydrocarbon potential of Laos, S.E. Asia on Wednesday November 9th, 2016. The talk is entitled 'Value Added Geoscience: A Case Study from Laos, S.E. Asia'. The event will take place in the Nexen Plus 15 Conference Centre located in the Nexen Annex Building.
- April 28 2016 Brian Zaitlin: (Zaitlin Geoconsulting Ltd.) will be presenting a talk at the Canadian Society of for Unconventional Resources (CSUR) 2016 Advanced Technology Workshop - "Deep Basin Unconventional Reservoirs: Profitability in a low price environment" titled Variations in Sequence Stratigraphy, Accommodation Space, Paleodrainage and Depositional Style between the Underfilled and Overfilled Foreland Basin Portion of the Western Canada Sedimentary coauthored with Tom Moslow.
- April 28 2016 Brian Zaitlin: (Zaitlin Geoconsulting Ltd.) will be co-presenting a core display at the Canadian Society of for Unconventional Resources (CSUR) 2016 Advanced Technology Workshop - "Deep Basin Unconventional Reservoirs: Profitability in a low price environment" titled Variability in Spirit River (Wilrich-Falher) Reservoir Facies Associations of the Deep Basin: sequence stratigraphy, accommodation space, reservoir quality and composition with co-author Tom Moslow.
- May 5 2016 Kathleen Dorey: (5th Annual CSEG Symposium, Calgary) Kathleen Dorey, Chief Geophysicist at PRCL has been asked to speak at the event which showcases the CSEG's best speakers. Ms. Dorey's talk is entitled "Value Added Seismic Interpretation in Southeast Asia". This year the Symposium will also posthumously honour Bill Nickerson as well with the theme of Integrity, Knowledge, and Wisdom.
- May 5 2016 Brad Hayes: (Ontario Petroleum Institute 54th Annual Conference - "Discover the Future") Brad will speak on Canada's unconventional oil and gas plays
- June 22 2016 Brad Hayes: (American Association of Petroleum Geologists ACE 2016) "Comparing Basin-Centred Gas Prospectivity in the Bowen-Surat Basin (Queensland, Australia) with the Deep Basin of Western Canada and the Piceance Basin (Western U.S.)"
Details on all presentations and presentation downloads