Strategic and Operational Consulting
Drawing upon its extensive library of geological and exploration studies and the wide-ranging operational experience of its staff, Petrel Robertson Consulting provides strategic exploration and development advice to clients. This work ranges from evaluation and recommendation of specific drilling prospects to strategic analyses of entire play fairways and basins.
Petrel can take the role of an “Exploration Department for Hire”, both within Canada and internationally, employing its technical depth, broad experience, and strong relationships with governments and national oil companies in several jurisdictions.
Petrel Robertson Consulting Ltd. can provide you with technical support services as needed and on short notice.
We have available:
- A complete range of computer hardware and software (geoSCOUT, ArcGIS, GeoGraphix, Illustrator, Photoshop) required to generate maps and sections. Our geoSCOUT data modules cover BC, Alberta and Saskatchewan.
- Staff who are highly competent in running geoSCOUT and associated software at the junior geologist, technician, and clerical levels.
- Full plotting capacity from strip logs up to 42″ wide using a continuous roll plotter – great for big cross-sections.
Because your requirements can vary widely, we prefer to quote pricing specific to each job. As mentioned previously, our people are experienced building everything from very basic cross-sections to complex maps and sections tailored to various situations. We can use Illustrator to polish up basic geoSCOUT cross-sections (for example), creating a product that showcases your ideas and interpretations.
Whenever you need our services, call or email:
- Brad Hayes at 403-218-1607; email@example.com
- Martin Perra (Manager of Mapping Systems) at 403-218-1615; firstname.lastname@example.org
Strategic Exploration and Play Strategy Analysis
Review of Canadian tar sand and heavy oil business for a client group, ranking potential take-over or partner candidates.
- Analysis of exploration potential of uphole Mesozoic targets through a large area of the Alberta Foothills, for a major operator that had focused on traditional Paleozoic targets. Petrel made specific recommendations regarding farmout opportunities and other operational issues.
- Analysis of exploration prospectivity along entire Western Canada Foothills for an international client, ranking play types and specific opportunities.
- Analysis of “tight gas” exploration potential in various areas of the Western Canada Sedimentary Basin, in several distinct projects for different clients. Petrel recommended exploration focus areas to fit specific criteria identified by the clients.
- Analysis of gas discoveries and prospectivity on the Labrador Shelf of the eastern Canada offshore, as part of a strategic study for an international operator assessing viability of undertaking operations in this area.
- Analysis of gas prospectivity throughout the Grand Banks area of offshore Eastern Canada, as part of a strategic study for major operators in the area, assessing the viability of tying gas production from the area into the North American gas infrastructure system.
- Introduction of Canadian companies to various international exploration opportunities, including Algeria, Australia, Germany, France and Spain.
- Assisting a major international operator in purchasing producing gas properties in Western Canada. Petrel participated in conventional economic evaluations in addition to assessing upside potential and providing advice on evaluating drilling programs initiated by partners.
- Assessing regional gas resource potential and exploration activity in a large area of central Alberta, to assist a midstream operator in the purchase of specific pipeline and facilities assets.
- Comparative evaluation of large onshore / offshore exploration blocks in Chile, in support of acquisition of exploration rights by an international client
Advice to Government and Public Agencies
- Presentation outlining Alberta shale gas potential to Alberta government Competitiveness Review, chaired by Premier Ed Stelmach
- Assessment of unconventional gas potential in the Northwest Territories, commissioned by Northwest Territories Geoscience Office
- Resource assessment and play strategy advice to the British Columbia Ministry of Energy, Mines, and Petroleum Resources, promoting activity in several areas:
- Nechako Basin Exploration
- Tight Gas Potential of Northeastern British Columbia
- Deep Devonian Exploration in Northeastern British Columbia
- Advice to the Inuvialuit Regional Council concerning exploration and development initiatives in the Mackenzie Delta
- Comprehensive exploration play analysis and mapping for joint B.C. Ministry of Energy, Mines, and Petroleum Resources – National Energy Board study
- Analysis of Cretaceous exploration plays in the Deep Basin and Foothills of northeastern B.C., in support of regulatory changes by the British Columbia Oil and Gas Commission
- Analysis of Deep Basin gas resources and exploration play potential in Alberta for Alberta Energy, in support of changes to the regulatory framework on commingled gas production
- Strategic advice to the government of the Northern Territory of Australia in support of attracting petroleum exploration investment
- Advice to the Gwichen Tribal council concerning exploration and development initiatives in the Mackenzie Valley
Regulatory and Litigation
- Strategic and technical advice for several clients in the regulatory hearings concerning production of natural gas and bitumen in northeastern Alberta
- Exploration assessment and property valuation in litigation involving Canadian offshore exploration blocks
- Expert witness services regarding exploration and development strategies undertaken over disputed properties in western Canada
- Expert witness services regarding ownership and assignment of petroleum and natural gas rights
Financial and Market Advice
- Advice to Board of Directors and stock analysts regarding viability and value of opportunity portfolio in an intermediate Canadian operator.
- Exploration portfolio valuation in support of an initial public offering of publicly-traded securities.
- Review exploration and development prospects, and advise potential investors on merits and potential risks
- Operations geology and geophysics work on the giant Hibernia Field, on behalf of the Canadian Hibernia Holding Corp. (holding the Canadian government’s interest in Hibernia). Petrel participates in field development, planning, and reserves assessment, and is responsible for supporting CHHC’s ultimate vending of their interest.
- Work within operations groups of operating companies, making recommendations on drilling, land tenure, abandonments, and other operational matters.
- Technical and graphical work to prepare for application for international exploration blocks.
- Participation in meetings with regulatory authorities on behalf of clients.
The Daily Oil Bulletin published Brad Hayes’ article “The Proper Application of Science in Energy Policy”
The Daily Oil Bulletin published Brad Hayes’ article “The Proper Application of Science in Energy Policy” on December 5th. https://www.dailyoilbulletin.com/article/2018/12/5/science-and-society/ Good science supports good public policy on many issues, particularly...