Strategic and Operational Consulting
Drawing on our extensive library of geological and exploration projects and our wide-ranging operating experience, PRCL provides strategic exploration, appraisal and development advice to clients across a spectrum of subsurface resource applications.
Petrel Robertson can provide a diverse range of technical support services in a timely fashion. These include:
- A complete range of hardware and software (geoSCOUT, GeoGraphix, ArcGIS, SeisWare, Petrel, HDS2008, and office / graphics packages) run by staff experts to support integrated and diverse projects in resource analysis and characterization.
- Many additional specialized geoscience and engineering services and support software, available through our team of affiliated consultants.
Whenever you need our services, call or email:
- Brad Hayes at 403-218-1607; email@example.com
- Martin Perra (Manager of Mapping Systems) at 403-218-1615; firstname.lastname@example.org
Strategic Exploration and Play Strategy Analysis
Review of Canadian tar sand and heavy oil business for a client group, ranking potential take-over or partner candidates.
- Analysis of exploration potential of uphole Mesozoic targets through a large area of the Alberta Foothills, for a major operator that had focused on traditional Paleozoic targets. Petrel made specific recommendations regarding farmout opportunities and other operational issues.
- Analysis of exploration prospectivity along entire Western Canada Foothills for an international client, ranking play types and specific opportunities.
- Analysis of “tight gas” exploration potential in various areas of the Western Canada Sedimentary Basin, in several distinct projects for different clients. Petrel recommended exploration focus areas to fit specific criteria identified by the clients.
- Analysis of gas discoveries and prospectivity on the Labrador Shelf of the eastern Canada offshore, as part of a strategic study for an international operator assessing viability of undertaking operations in this area.
- Analysis of gas prospectivity throughout the Grand Banks area of offshore Eastern Canada, as part of a strategic study for major operators in the area, assessing the viability of tying gas production from the area into the North American gas infrastructure system.
- Introduction of Canadian companies to various international exploration opportunities, including Algeria, Australia, Germany, France and Spain.
- Assisting a major international operator in purchasing producing gas properties in Western Canada. Petrel participated in conventional economic evaluations in addition to assessing upside potential and providing advice on evaluating drilling programs initiated by partners.
- Assessing regional gas resource potential and exploration activity in a large area of central Alberta, to assist a midstream operator in the purchase of specific pipeline and facilities assets.
- Comparative evaluation of large onshore / offshore exploration blocks in Chile, in support of acquisition of exploration rights by an international client
Advice to Government and Public Agencies
- Presentation outlining Alberta shale gas potential to Alberta government Competitiveness Review, chaired by Premier Ed Stelmach
- Member of Expert Panel on Hydraulic Fracturing in Nova Scotia, reporting to the Minister of Energy
- Assessment of unconventional gas potential in the Northwest Territories, commissioned by Northwest Territories Geoscience Office
- Resource assessment and play strategy advice to the British Columbia Ministry of Energy, Mines, and Petroleum Resources, promoting activity in several areas:
- Nechako Basin Exploration
- Tight Gas Potential of Northeastern British Columbia
- Deep Devonian Exploration in Northeastern British Columbia
- Advice to the Inuvialuit Regional Council concerning exploration and development initiatives in the Mackenzie Delta
- Comprehensive exploration play analysis and mapping for joint B.C. Ministry of Energy, Mines, and Petroleum Resources – National Energy Board study
- Analysis of Cretaceous exploration plays in the Deep Basin and Foothills of northeastern B.C., in support of regulatory changes by the British Columbia Oil and Gas Commission
- Analysis of Deep Basin gas resources and exploration play potential in Alberta for Alberta Energy, in support of changes to the regulatory framework on commingled gas production
- Strategic advice to the government of the Northern Territory of Australia in support of attracting petroleum exploration investment
- Exploration and Development assessment in the Mackenzie Valley for Gwich’in Tribal Council, Sahtu Secretariat, and Tulita District Land Corp.
- Assessment and economic valuation of unconventional oil and gas resource endowment in Nova Scotia basins for Nova Scotia Department of Energy
- Presented “State of Hydraulic Fracturing Science” to BC Scientific Fracturing Review Panel
Regulatory and Litigation
- Strategic and technical advice for several clients in the regulatory hearings concerning production of natural gas and bitumen in northeastern Alberta
- Exploration assessment and property valuation in litigation involving Canadian offshore exploration blocks
- Expert witness services regarding exploration and development strategies undertaken over disputed properties in western Canada
- Expert witness services regarding ownership and assignment of petroleum and natural gas rights
Financial and Market Advice
- Advice to Board of Directors and stock analysts regarding viability and value of opportunity portfolio in an intermediate Canadian operator.
- Exploration portfolio valuation in support of an initial public offering of publicly-traded securities.
- Review exploration and development prospects, and advise potential investors on merits and potential risks.
- Operations geology and geophysics work on the giant Hibernia Field, on behalf of the Canadian Hibernia Holding Corp. (holding the Canadian government’s interest in Hibernia). Petrel participates in field development, planning, and reserves assessment, and is responsible for supporting CHHC’s ultimate vending of their interest.
- Work within operations groups of operating companies, making recommendations on drilling, land tenure, abandonments, and other operational matters.
- Technical and graphical work to prepare for application for international exploration blocks.
- Participation in meetings with regulatory authorities on behalf of clients.
PRCL facilitates 21st century Energy Transitions
We apply our subsurface geoscience and engineering expertise to oil and gas, water resource characterization, geothermal resources, subsurface energy storage and carbon sequestration, and exploration for helium and other strategic commodities
Click here to read more...
THE 21st CENTURY ENERGY TRANSITION
Petrel Robertson is playing an important role as Canada and the world transition to more diverse energy sources and storage.
Oil and gas will be critical for energy and petrochemicals for decades to come. PRCL supports orderly, efficient, and environmentally responsible development of oil and gas resources. Much of our oil- and gas-related work now supports initiatives such as identifying water source and disposal opportunities for unconventional oil and gas, while ensuring protection of fresh water resources.
We are also finding opportunities to leverage our subsurface skill sets beyond oil and gas, including:
- Exploring for and developing other resources, such as minerals-rich saline brines and helium, found in deep gas reservoirs
- Characterizing saline water resources in deep aquifers to supply water for hydraulic fracturing, and to safely dispose of waste water from petroleum and other industrial processes
- Characterizing fresh water resources in shallow aquifers, as water supply for many uses, and to guard against contamination
- Mapping areas at risk from induced seismicity
- Evaluating and planning geothermal energy development
- Assessing and planning subsurface energy storage, as in caverns and fracture systems
Next week Kathleen Dorey will be chairing the subject session on Wednesday morning, Sept 23rd as part of Geoconvention 2020. The talks will include case studies for the Charlie Lk. and horizontal well placement in Alberta as well as a sub-thrust exploration play in...